world famous ...
The history of the Bratwurst Glöckl
Munich over 120 years ago: In 1893, the royal capital and residence of Bavaria had 373,000 inhabitants under the reign of Prince Regent Luitpold. Wilhelm von Borscht has just been elected 1st Mayor, the city center is illuminated electrically for the first time by 280 arc lamps and a technological marvel, the Donnersberger Bridge, has been opened to traffic.
A time began in which Munich also shone in other areas, as Thomas Mann, who came to the Isar the following year, wrote in his story “Gladius Dei”: “Art is in bloom, art is in control, art stretches her rose-wrapped scepter over the city and smiles ... Munich shone. "
The "Sezession" was founded in 1893 and showed in its first exhibition, for which Franz von Stuck designed the poster, the works of Lovis Corinth, Gustave Courbet, Max Liebermann and Franz Slevogt, to name just a few of the then "moderns". Gabriel von Seidl began to build the Künstlerhaus with the help of Franz Lenbach, and in 1893 the “Kaim Orchestra” played for the first time, which changed its name in 1924 and is now known worldwide as the “Munich Philharmonic”.
The “Bratwurst Glöcklein” in Nuremberg
and the “Nürnberger Bratwurst Glöckl” in Munich
Since 1796, a “real legal person” had been entered in the land register for the house at Frauenplatz No. 9, which means a privilege for a bar. In 1883 the house became the property of the Pschorr brewery, which opened a “Viennese restoration” in it, which Simon Bäumler took over on lease in 1893.
The reason why he renamed his new restaurant "Nürnberger Bratwurst Glöckl" was partly due to its Franconian origins, and on the other hand, the well-known "Bratwurst Glöcklein" in Nuremberg should have gone very well, so that the affinity of the names meant that he was hoping for a nice business . Perhaps he was also inspired by the immediate vicinity of the Frauenkirche, because the Nuremberg inn was built directly onto the Moritzkapelle.
A bell hung on a protruding wall of this chapel, on the back of which was the stove for the bratwurst kitchen - hence the name "Bratwurst Glöcklein". The owners of the Nuremberg pub had no objections to the “offshoot” in Munich, and so Bäumler was able to open his inn under this new name.
1390 - The Bratwurst Glöckl-Haus: older than the Frauenkirche
Munich's Bratwurst Glöckl-Haus am Dom existed long before the foundation stone for Munich's landmark was laid on February 9, 1468: The first documentary mention dates back to 1390, when the city's tax books listed 2,250 homeowners and Munich had almost 13,000 residents counted.
Craftsmen, painters and furriers subsequently lived in the house in what was then Bäckergasse, which was only given its current address “Frauenplatz” in 1789. The house often changed its face over the generations: the oldest illustration from 1572 shows it in a coherent building complex, which extends from Thiereck-Gässchen to Stiftsgasse, which no longer exists today, with two gables and a small oriel tower. In the drawings by Johann Stimmelmayr around 1800, however, it appears as a separate building with three floors and a simple facade and was named the "von Delling corner house" after its owner at the time. The oldest photographs from around 1900 show the Bratwurst Glöckl-Haus with a stucco-decorated facade, three floors and an image of a saint above the entrance: a friendly, cozy atmosphere.
Bratwurst Glöckl founder Simon Bäumler, a successful Munich host
Simon Bäumler was no stranger to Munich: in 1888 he opened the "Café Luitpold" in the newly built Luitpoldblock in Brienner Strasse, which also exists today and which quickly became a popular meeting place for elegant Munich. After Bäumler had acquired the Bratwurst Glöckl in 1896 for 175,000 marks and in the same year he had also set up a meat and sausage production facility in Waltherstrasse, his activities seemed to be growing a bit over his head.
1896 - The Bratwurst Glöckl as a wedding present
To get some air, Bäumler gave away his Bratwurst Glöckl! Not to anyone, of course, but as a wedding present to his daughter Babette (1877–1924), who married Georg Zehnter (1869–1922) from Ochsenfurt in 1896.
1924 - The landlord Karl Zehnter and his mysterious death
After Georg Zehnter and his wife Babette died on March 18, 1924, their then 24-year-old son Karl Zehnter took over the Bratwurst Glöckl as the new landlord. A regulars' table, at which SA chief Ernst Röhm was often to be found from 1924 to 1934, must have been the young host's undoing: on June 30, 1934, he was arrested immediately after Röhm's arrest and found dead a few hours later near Dachau. The circumstances of his death and the background have not yet been clarified.
1934 - The new heirs: Margarethe and Käthe Zehnter
Now the inheritance went to the two daughters, with Margarethe Zehnter (1897-1954), who was married to Franz Beck, acting as a silent partner and Dr. Eduard Staub married Käthe Zehnter (1903-1977) as the new landlords ran the Bratwurst Glöckl.
1948 - Reconstruction of the Bratwurst Glöckl
After the currency reform in October 1948, Dr. Eduard and Käthe Staub with the reconstruction, but despite the greatest financial efforts, the house could not be built in its previous size. It has now become one floor smaller, but the innkeepers attached more importance to the interior and were able to reconstruct the original character of the guest rooms in almost every detail.
1949 - Reopening of the Bratwurst Glöckl
On June 27, 1949, the show of strength was done and the successful reopening of the new Bratwurst Glöckl was celebrated with Mayor Thomas Wimmer, the craftsmen and neighbors.
1977 - Ilse and Gerhard Beck take over the Bratwurst Glöckl
After the death of Dr. Eduard Staub 1956 and his wife Käthe 1977 the Bratwurst Glöckl remained in the family's possession: Now the inheritance went to the children of the then silent partner Margarethe Zehnter, who was married to Franz Beck: to Ilse and Gerhard Beck.
Gerhard Beck and his children Christine and Michael continue to run the Bratwurst Glöckl
100 years have passed since the Bratwurst Glöckl was founded and it is still family-owned.
1994 - High distinction for a young landlord
There were around 700 candidates from all over Germany to choose from, and the 9-person jury certainly had a difficult task to choose the “Landlord of the Year 1994”. In the end, they decided on Michael Beck, the host of the Bratwurst Glöckl, and gave him an award that we can rightly be a little proud of.
1996 - Michael Beck is the sole managing director
In November 1996 his sister Christine and his father left the management and Michael Beck took over the management of the company. This year he will start renovating the kitchen, plan to expand the Glöckl and open the new beer garden, which will be inaugurated with Augustiner beer.
1997 - The Bratwurst Glöckl rebuilds
Because more and more guests poured into the Glöckl, the necessary expansion has now been tackled. In November 1997 the time had come. The first floor was rebuilt. In the style of the lower guest room, two rustic rooms with their own beer tap were created in record time. This more comfortable space makes it easier to find a place in the Bratwurst Glöckl. In addition, the two rooms are ideal for private or company celebrations for 15 to 170 people.
2003 - Bratwurstglöckl under new management
The Augustiner Brewery in Munich takes over the Nuremberg Bratwurst Glöckl am Dom.
Since 2006, the Nuremberg Bratwurst Glöckl am Dom has been run by Mr. Jürgen Morawek and Mr. Mencner.
On 01.01.2009 they took over the Bratwurst-Glöckl as the new tenant.
2018 - Bratwurstglöckl celebrates 125 years
Tradition can be this modern. Munich stop.
The Nuremberg Bratwurst Glöckl am Dom, which celebrated its 125th anniversary some time ago, is a wonderful Munich example of how lively and modern tradition can be.
Nuremberg Bratwurst Glöckl am Dom
Morawek & Mencner Gastronomie GmbH
Phone: +49 (0) 89 - 29 19 45 - 0
Fax: +49 (0) 89 - 29 04 736
Arrival by public transport:
With the U3, U6 or the S-Bahn lines S1–8 to Marienplatz. From there you can reach the Bratwurst Glöckl in just 2 minutes!